easyplay
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

easyplay

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Beginner's guide to player configs

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage

Beginner's guide to player configs Empty
PostSubject: Beginner's guide to player configs   Beginner's guide to player configs Icon_minitimeSun Jun 22, 2008 10:49 am

// Beginner's Guide To Player Configs //
This guide is for
- Players who don't know how to get, use or make a config and are interested in seeing what the fuss is about.
What are the benefits of having your own config?
- You can fully customise your game.
- You don't have to go through the options to change settings.
- You don't need to keep binding keys, it stores them.
- Forget binding, configs open up a door to a world of scripting.
Is using a config 'cheating' or 'unfair' ?
- Thats up to you, don't use it if you dont want to.
- Other people use them so your just staying in competition by using one.
- Its all a part of the world inside the game. (oh boy the matrix!)
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Creating your .cfg file
The only thing we'll be using to make our config is notepad.
Open notepad.
Save the file as yourname.cfg into your wolfenstein etmain folder. "C:\Program Files\Wolfenstein - Enemy Territory\etmain"
It's very important you remember to save your file with the .cfg extension. This saves it as a configiration file instead of a
.txt file that notepad would normally save as.
You save the file in "etmain" because you will be able to load the config from any mod you are playing as long as it is in the "etmain" folder.

How to load your config ingame
To start your config ingame you will need to open the console. The key to open the console may be ` under ESC or ~.
When you've opened it up you need to enter the command

/exec yourname.cfg

You don't need to put the extension (.cfg) when doing this but it's better to get into the habit of doing it.

The 'exec' command just executes (starts) the file that follows.

This command will look in your 'etmain' folder for the file and load the commands and variables that are inside it.

There is a way to do this so that it loads with the game but we're doing it this way for now.
It won't actually do anything to the game at the moment, because the file is empty.

Customising the config
An empty config is no use so we need to add some stuff in.
Lets start with something simple and basic, we're going to make it so that when you load your config a little message appears on the screen saying it has loaded. Type onto the top line:

echo ^1Config Loaded!

Save it. Now when you load your config up in game it's going to look through the file you made. It will read the 'echo' command and carry it out. It only reads the config file once so it will only say it once each time you load it.

Now lets get down to something a bit more useful.

To set the sensitivity of your mouse in your config:
Go down onto a new line from your echo command. (You can't have two commands on the same line without using a ; )

Type in

seta cg_sensitivity 2

'cg_sensitivity' is a variable that is just for setting the sensitivity. '2' is the value of the sensitivity variable and you need to change that to the sensitivity you want to use. 'seta' is a command that sets the variable.
Now when you load your config ingame it will set your sensitivity. Although your sensitivity should be the same as it usually is everytime you play.
Lets try using our config to select the crosshair we like to use.
On a new line type

seta cg_drawcrosshair "5"
Values
Replace 5 with the number that suits you.
1 - Default crosshair
2 - Smaller default crosshair
3 - Circle with dot
4 - Transparent circle with dot
5 - Small dot
6 - Crosshair with circle and dot..

The list goes on so you'll have to find out which one you want to use.
Now when you load up your .cfg file it will set the crosshair you want.
You can use your config to tweak many settings like graphics, sounds your hud display and many other things. Here are a few common ones you might find useful:

seta r_gamma "2" - This will increase your screen brightness only while playing ET so you can see on those dark maps. Default is 1.3.

seta com_maxfps "90" - This will cap your frames per second at a certain value, a stable fps is best and 90 is a good value for low computers. 125 is the next step up.

seta r_mapoverbrightbits "2" - Helps you see in shadowed areas.

seta cg_atmosphericeffects "0" - Turns rain and snow off, improves fps slightly.

Scripts
Okay your probably sick of that by now and are wondering why the hell you'd want a config. Lets do something a little bit more advanced and flashy and useful. A name toggle script.
We're going to use a simple 1 button version of this script.
Type this into your config

bind F4 vstr name
set name vstr name1
set name1 "seta name putanamehere; set name vstr name2"
set name2 "seta name putanamehere; set name vstr name3"
set name3 "seta name putanamehere; set name vstr name1"

This might look a little complicated at first but it's actually quite simple.
What is happening is when you press F4 it runs a vstr. A vstr is something that runs a script inside a variable sort of. The vstr called 'name' is running another vstr called 'name1', and this loads the 3rd line which sets your player name but then changes the vstr 'name' to run 'name2' instead of 'name1' which will give another player name. This all loops round in a circle so each time you press F4 you will get the next name. The ; just lets you run a series of commands on the same line.

To Conclude
You can put binds in your config on their own seperate lines. (you don't need the /) This guide barely scratches the surface of what a config can do but hopefully you will be a little bit understanding of what a config is and may start to create your own over time.
Here is an example of a full config I made, it only has a few smaller configs running off it but its mostly all in one piece. Please do not steal it, or copy it. If you need help I will help but don't steal. Other peoples configs won't turn you into the best player.
ET configs is a good resource site for this sort of stuff:
http://etcfg.revo-online.nl/
Don't mess with variables that you don't know.

I may make a more advanced guide if people like this one.
Made by Billy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Beginner's guide to player configs   Beginner's guide to player configs Icon_minitimeThu Jun 26, 2008 2:17 am

Very nice Guide.
I got a cfg in etpro servers. But when i copy it into the other modmaps, my ET crashes when loading it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Beginner's guide to player configs   Beginner's guide to player configs Icon_minitimeThu Jun 26, 2008 2:34 am

Yeah they do tend to mess stuff up.

My etpro one on jaymod doesn't display some messages in the chat.

However, I've now modded it for jaymod use.
Back to top Go down
TnT
Wannabe
Wannabe

PostSubject: ...   Beginner's guide to player configs Icon_minitimeSun Jul 06, 2008 8:22 am

I have CFG maker. who want it send PM to me i can give it to evryone
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Beginner's guide to player configs   Beginner's guide to player configs Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2008 2:25 am

Yeah CFG Maker will make you config which you will have to adjust by your own... It's not actually good way to make your cfg. Of course in my opinion...
Back to top Go down
{EP}badbadger
Badboy
Badboy

PostSubject: Re: Beginner's guide to player configs   Beginner's guide to player configs Icon_minitimeSun Aug 17, 2008 8:54 am

AAAAHHHHHH, this is the beginner's guide. affraid affraid Think I'll wait a bit before I go messing with anything as it took about 20 attempts with help to set EP in front of my name. Must say that it was quicker than the Goblin though lol. Give me a few months and I'll be back to this and pestering you for some help Billy.

Badger study
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Beginner's guide to player configs   Beginner's guide to player configs Icon_minitimeSun Aug 17, 2008 1:48 pm

I'm thinking about just making a bunch of configs that people can use with instructions inside of how to tweak. However I would only want to give these to people I like and trust.
Back to top Go down
{EP}$!Lv3r
Badboy
Badboy
{EP}$!Lv3r

PostSubject: Re: Beginner's guide to player configs   Beginner's guide to player configs Icon_minitimeSun Nov 02, 2008 8:14 am

nice instructions
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Beginner's guide to player configs   Beginner's guide to player configs Icon_minitimeMon Nov 03, 2008 9:28 am

silver cut it posting on all the topics saying nice or wow it gets really annoying and if your trying to show your a good member and use forum just reply to the neccessary ones ffs. i mean he says he removed cuz of spyware and you say nice find i mean ffs at least read the post dumb ass Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Dante
Uber Badboy
Uber Badboy
Dante

PostSubject: Re: Beginner's guide to player configs   Beginner's guide to player configs Icon_minitimeMon Nov 03, 2008 11:19 am

{EP}Strobe wrote:
silver cut it posting on all the topics saying nice or wow it gets really annoying and if your trying to show your a good member and use forum just reply to the neccessary ones ffs. i mean he says he removed cuz of spyware and you say nice find i mean ffs at least read the post dumb ass Very Happy

i appreciate that you said that, but now YOU should read the post, you posted this on the wrong topic.
btw good instructions Razz

~FoxySniper
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Beginner's guide to player configs   Beginner's guide to player configs Icon_minitimeTue Nov 04, 2008 12:25 am

thank-you that what you get when your in a rush :O o well i posted it where it menna go
Back to top Go down
{EP}$!Lv3r
Badboy
Badboy
{EP}$!Lv3r

PostSubject: Re: Beginner's guide to player configs   Beginner's guide to player configs Icon_minitimeTue Nov 04, 2008 10:40 am

{EP}Strobe wrote:
sorry dude i am really dumb ass i have very bad english... No
Back to top Go down
Dante
Uber Badboy
Uber Badboy
Dante

PostSubject: Re: Beginner's guide to player configs   Beginner's guide to player configs Icon_minitimeTue Nov 04, 2008 10:45 am

Strobe was being sarcastic with ''dumb ass'' don't take it literally Smile besides, your English is quite skilled unlike me.
Back to top Go down
{EP}$!Lv3r
Badboy
Badboy
{EP}$!Lv3r

PostSubject: Re: Beginner's guide to player configs   Beginner's guide to player configs Icon_minitimeTue Nov 04, 2008 10:46 am

FoxySniper wrote:
Strobe was being sarcastic with ''dumb ass'' don't take it literally Smile besides, your English is quite skilled unlike me.
my english sucks Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Dante
Uber Badboy
Uber Badboy
Dante

PostSubject: Re: Beginner's guide to player configs   Beginner's guide to player configs Icon_minitimeTue Nov 04, 2008 10:48 am

{EP}$!Lv3r wrote:
FoxySniper wrote:
my english sucks Very Happy

even if it sucks, we can all understand you clearly enough Smile

~FoxySniper
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Beginner's guide to player configs   Beginner's guide to player configs Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Beginner's guide to player configs
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
easyplay :: Public Forums :: Guides-
Jump to: